Monday, November 3, 2014

Week One!

Texas is a beautiful state! I love the friendly people, my patient companion, and the reliable car.  The apartment feels safe, the bed feels comfortable, and the water clean. Our alarm clock changes sounds every morning, which I find amusing and confusing.

Also, the members are saints and I have not gone hungry since I've been here thanks to their scrumptious cooking. We've eaten zucchini boats, pulled pork sandwiches, grilled chicken, Chinese Take-Out... I've been gifted homemade jelly, and candied apples, child-made paper books and candy rings. And I've only been here 5 days. The huge hearts of these Texans are incredible.

Challenge!
On that note, my challenge to you this week: do something nice for a missionary in your area! It's so encouraging to have some stranger offer to take a picture and send it to your family, or offer you a bottle of water when it's hot (everyone here drinks bottled water...) Dinners are great, referrals are awesome, smiles and a handshake are lovely. Anyways, just keep being the beautiful, supportive people you are!

Mission Report:
Things are hard, and even though people are so friendly and the ward members so supportive, we haven't met any of our goals any of the time. Which, being reasonable with myself, I've only been here 5 days, and barely know anything about missionary work. Also, day 2 of my mission we took over the entire ward boundaries. So that's a huge amount of mileage to cover for 2 relatively new sisters. But, still... for a straight A, A- student, getting D's and F's is like General Conference without an airplane Uchtdorf talk -- kind of depressing, even though you know it's not required all the time. But we'll keep working and learning and growing in the mission field.

We met a lovely Catholic lady on the side of the road who listened to the entire Restoration lesson from us right then (I love Catholics; but they rarely want a message, so I think God was preparing this wonderful woman) while a cat wrapped itself around my legs and got hair all over my nylons and people peered out their cars at us as they drove slowly past like, What're they doin? So the work is going on, and it's kinda fun! :)

Quality of Christ:
I've been working on having diligence like Christ this week. I was reading in 1 Nephi 8, about the Tree of Life dream. I compared those who became ashamed after the fruit, and those who fell down.

"I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree. And after they had partaken of the fruit of the tree they did cast their eyes about as if they were ashamed." (vs24-25)

"...he saw other multitudes pressing forward; and they came and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press their way forward, continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree." (vs30)

They both followed the words of God and pressed forward. But I love the difference "press their way forward." Make it your journey! Diligence is personal. Enjoy it. That was good advice for me. It's not anyone's journey but my own, so I only need to measure up to God's expectations.

Clinging makes me think of clothing that doesn't fit right. Or plastic wrap to put on food you're going to toss later. It makes me think of nails digging in, tips of fingers holding tight, but everything else pulling you away sort of verb. It doesn't make me think of a loving verb.

Continually holding fast sounds slow, patient, calm, trusting... My companion prayed for us one night, and she said, "May Sister Rowley slowly learn all... no, I mean, fastly learn all she needs to for this mission." She meant quickly, but I liked how she used fast-ly. God's time is fast enough for needs, but not too fast for what we can handle. I'm going to fall over when I get home I'll be so tired, but I'm gonna be so happy!

So keep the faith!
Love you all,
Sister Rowley